Back in March of 2013 Travis came and saw us at the NAIT career fair. At the time we didn’t have a position to offer him but he was very interested in what we were doing. The following year he came back and we remembered his interest from the previous year.
After that we had him in for a couple interviews. Our Development Lead also had him do an assessment project. Most people that get to this point don’t complete the assessment. Lots of time we don’t even hear back from them, but not Travis. He did a great job and continues to do great work for the development team at NIRIX.
Here’s a peek of what working at NIRIX is like through Travis’s eyes.
Thanks to the channel partners that were able to make it out to our first channel partner event. We realize your time is valuable and hope that it was well spent with us. For the rest of you that couldn’t make it, here’s what you missed. Also there are some pics from the event at the bottom of the post.
Our Commitment to Your Success
The theme for the night was “Our Commitment to Your Success”. We wanted our partners to know how much we want to help them and felt this sums up our intentions nicely.
Starting the event off was a tour of the datacenter where Steve shared some of the technologies that keep it going. For several in attendance it was their first time seeing the impressive facility and resulted in a few questions. (I’m talking about you, Boris)
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) had it’s final regulations released December 4, 2013. It details what is and is not considered spam in Canada, among other things. It applies to all electronic communications between your business and your customers. So if you want to email your client list or even send them a text you will need to know how CASL will affect this process.
Kevin is our new account manager that will be looking after our customers. His focus will be Customer Satisfaction including Billing Issues, Service Changes, Renewals, and Support Escalations.
So now that you know what he looks like, here is a little about him.
We are happy to announce that your oneDesktop invoice will be getting simpler. As of Jan 2, 2014 there will no longer be monthly fees for 3rd party applications.
Some of our customers were finding that they would only have us host their essential applications while passing on others based on the monthly fees. Having the right tools to do your job is important and we hope that this change makes it more affordable to have the right applications wherever you are.
On November 19, 2013, NIRIX launched its oneBackup SMB cloud backup service with two attractive service plans for small businesses.
As we continue to build our VARs and MSPs following, we want to share with you an exclusive promotion that we are offering through VARs and MSPs. While this won’t be a good fit for all your customers it could work well for ones that want affordable 100% Canadian based cloud backup service and have 20 PCs or less.
No one likes spam yet we all deal with it on a daily basis. With all of the spam that comes our way it can be exhausting to defend the purity of our inboxes.
We’re working on a solution and it might be right for you if you find yourself doing one or more things on the list below.
9 Symptoms of Severe Spam-itis
- You’ve given up hope on a tidy inbox and the spam is now telling you what to do.
- You mutter threats to the unknown beings behind the spam epidemic.
- You refer to your inbox as your spambox.
- Your co-workers frequently catch you self-talking before you open your email.
- Every week you optimistically implement new spam blocking filters. That makes you the crazy person at work.
- You’re on your second round of trying to see how long it takes to reach your inbox limit by not blocking any spam.
- You miss important emails on account of them getting lost in the spam. You don’t react well to this.
- You’ve replaced more than one of your swear words with “spam”.
- Your revenge plots involve signing up your enemies to services that spam.
You may be coping well with the spam epidemic but chances are you’ll find yourself on the list unless you do something about it. Luckily there’s hope. Last June we updated two of your services, oneDesktop and oneExchange, with spam fighting filters that collect information on spam and spammers from all around the world to constantly improve their effectiveness.
Since then we’ve had many customers request the service for their exchange servers. Shortly we will be releasing the new service for any company that wants it.
- Reduced Server Strain and Bandwidth – Our servers block the spam before it reaches your server. This means the spam that usually plugs your bandwidth doesn’t.
- 24×7 Intelligent Filters – Our filters communicate with other spam filters around the world 24×7 to black list spammers.
- Spam Reporting – Get automated notifications of emails that may be important but were filtered. This allows you to approve important emails.
- Double Layer Filtering – Our filters work with your filters.
- Individual and Company White/Black Lists – Get granular control over what your organization wants to block or let through.
- Utilization Reporting – Get reliable information about what the service is blocking and letting through.
- Easy Management and Setup – Manage the service through the online portal. Setup is quick and easy.
If you can’t wait for the release we’ve already packed this service as a feature in oneExchange and oneDesktop. Have a look.
A slow economy and instant networking are causing the perfect environment for freelance work. So perfect that an Elance study of the freelance marketplace claims that their website alone generated $200 million in earnings for 2012.
Elance CEO Fabio Rosati on his outlook for 2013 stated, “We’re well on our way to reaching $1 billion in cumulative freelancer earnings in 2013.”
Businesses are finding high quality freelancers to fit part time positions and task specific work loads. With the world’s economy just beginning to climb out of its depression, freelance work is proving to be a lucrative and easy-to-reach apple on the tree of success. Whether they are supplementing an income, freelancing full time or using this as a creative outlet, these freelancers are impacting the way businesses generate their digital content.
A Forbes article highlights major growth of freelance work from the Elance study.
“According to Elance research, earnings in content writing (+151%) and blog writing (+78%) made huge leaps over the past year, as well as web design (+205%) and graphic design (+165%). The biggest jump in earnings came to experts in Photoshop (+165%) and Illustrator (+131%) experts. Marketers with online expertise, including digital marketers (+190%) and social media marketers (+132%) also saw substantially increased paychecks in 2012.”
Freelancing is risky business. Good management of your data (e.g., invoicing, correspondence, contacts, deadlines, and the secure storage of original content) can be difficult to organize, expensive to maintain, and disastrous to lose. To help mitigate this risk, NIRIX is launching a new service made with small business in mind. It is called oneBackup SMB, and we are looking for freelance businesses to preview the service.
Space is limited and those that get in on the preview will get their first 12 months for next to nothing once the service is released.